Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 1

Seven months ago I wrote this.

Seven months ago I thought my life was beginning.

Seven months ago I would have said in seven months I'll be so much closer to reaching my goal.

To being healthy.

In seven months I have accomplished nothing.

I tried.  I worked my ass off all summer.  For nothing.  I'm embarrassed to read some old blog posts talking about how much I was at the gym.  About how many hours I was working out.  About how heavy the weights were that I was lifting.  But it was difficult to keep up with that when the school year started and I was seeing no changes on the scale.  So I stopped.

This week I've been to the gym twice.  I have plans to go 3 times next week.  I'm not going to kill myself overdoing it, especially because of the next step of my plan.

I'm going full-blown Atkins.

My last post said I was waiting, waiting for an answer from doctors.  I have my answer.  Insulin resistance.  Otherwise known as metabolic syndrome.

On one hand, I'm glad to know I'm not crazy.  I'm glad to know that the reason I haven't lost weight doing the right things is because it's 5x harder for me to lose weight than a "normal" person.  And because of that I can't just do things the right way most of the time, it has to be the right way 100% of the time and then some.

On the other hand?  It's another diagnosis and I've been prescribed more meds to take because my blood sugar levels are too high.  I don't have prediabetes, but it's dangerously close.  If I don't get this under control, the next step is prediabetes followed by Type 2 diabetes.

I realized today while I was in bed thinking before I got up that a diagnosis of diabetes means never again will I have freedom eating what I want to.  Every food decision I make will be clouded by the fact that I have diabetes.  Insulin resistance is completely reversible through exercise and weight loss.  It's possible my body really doesn't tolerate carbohydrates well; maybe I will never be able to eat carbs again without spiking my blood sugar and worrying about what it will do to my body.  But if I am healthy, if I don't have insulin resistance, I can splurge once in a while.  I can go out with friends and eat what I want to, as long as I am careful the rest of the week.  I could have ice cream without doing dangerous things to my body.  I wouldn't have to be 100% careful 100% of the time.

I love food.  I love good food.  I love trying new things and going to good restaurants or cooking good food.  I don't want to have to worry every minute of every day about what I'm eating.  I want the freedom that comes with being healthy; so for now I'm willing to sacrifice that freedom.

The doctors recommended I go on a low carb diet.  They're sending me information in the mail about exactly what they want me to do.  However...  I do everything to the extreme.  If my problem is carbohydrates; that my body can't convert them to energy without spiking my blood sugar which in turn causes weight gain, then why don't I just cut carbs all together?

Atkins is hard core.  For phase 1 (which I'm planning on extending from 2 weeks to 4 weeks (or maybe longer) to maximize weight loss), I don't get fruit, startchy vegetables, or any grains.  I'm supposed to eat around 20 grams of "net-carbs" a day (fiber doesn't count).  What I'm quickly finding out, is that everything has carbohydrates.  I'm allowed to eat a lot of protein and basically as many veggies as I can (8 cups a day between salads and cooked veggies).  I went shopping with Owen yesterday and stocked my fridge with all sorts of non-startchy vegetables (fennel, zucchini, green beans, lettuce, radishes, squash...) and lots of proteins.  I can have cheese in small amounts, and if there is one thing that rivals my love of really good bread.  It's really good cheese.  I think Owen and I may venture to Trader Joe's one day to check out their cheese selection.  If I have to give up bread, I'm going to enjoy my cheese.

I'm a good cook.  In fact, were things different in my life (no "calling" to be a special ed teacher and no Owen), I think I would have ended up in culinary school.  I may love good bread and sweets, but I trust in my ability to make a meal from just a protein source and veggies.  I love eating vegetables, and I am going to use this time on Atkins to explore different vegetables and different ways of cooking them.  I know I can cook and I know I can cook vegetables in a way that I will want to eat them.  But I also bought an Atkins cookbook because I have never consciously cooked low-carb in my life.  Once I run out of what I know, I know I will be happy to have some inspiration for new meal and snack ideas.

Day 1 on Atkins (aka: the day my life really begins): 265 pounds.  110 to go.

Breakfast: super cheesy scrambled eggs with a smidge of sour cream.  3 eggs with 2 oz of cheese; I think tomorrow I will try with just 1 oz of cheese (I only get 4 oz a day).




Lunch: 2 small hamburgers with cheddar & pepperjack cheese (1/2 oz of cheese on each) & salad (dressed with olive oil, half a lemon, and parmesan cheese).  I also had some club soda with the leftover lemon; the meds the doctors have me on are making me nauseous.  (My salad ended up being my afternoon snack as the meds I took right before lunch made me so nauseous I didn't want to eat for a while.)

Dinner: pan fried green beans (with garlic & lemon) and steak with olive tapenade.  Yum! 

I'm having more club soda (with lemon) now as a preventative to settle my stomach as I had to take the second pill after dinner.  There's no rhubarb in the stores now; I forgot to check the freezer section in the store.  If I can find rhubarb, I can cook it down - Atkins says with artificial sweetener, I'll probably use honey or agave because I don't like eating the artificial stuff - and eat it with heavy cream for "dessert".

Day 1 was a success!  Here's to.... a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment